Originally Posted by shrapnel
It is amazing that I never heard of this device before today and I can attest to it's simple elegance and design. I bought a Cooper 17HMR from brassman here on the Campfire and needed to scope it.

I called George at the Powderhorn here in Bozeman and told him I needed some matte rings to go on a new Cooper I had bought. When I got there, Bill and I put the rifle in the vise and he pulled this instrument out and we proceeded to put the rings on the rifle.

Bill explained the principle on how it was designed and we put the rings in place and loaded the tool into the bottom rings. With a few adjustments, we tightened everything down, checking the center of the bolt and bore with the points on the tool. After everything was set to our satisfaction, we bore sighted the scope only to find it off-center about 5 clicks.

I took it to the range and was 2 inches left and about 3 inches high, more than satisfactory for a bore sighting. This tool does work and would be a valuable tool in any shooter's box that cares about easy, true alignment of their scopes.

I have taken a few photos and some short video clips of Bill down at the Powderhorn while he was using the Scope-Tru in the shop. Both of these segments are of actual mounting jobs done on store customer's rifles.

Here are two url's from my photobucket albums:

The first url shows Bill mounting a set of windage adjustable cross-slot style rings on a Marlin rifle;

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums...ross%20Slot%20Rings/?albumview=slideshow

The second url shows Bill mounting a scope on a Ruger M 77 using factory original rings, and his particular technique he developed using the Scope-Tru for obtaining a decent alignment;

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums...0Ruger%20Model%2077/?albumview=slideshow

Keep in mind that while these photos are the actual mount jobs done in his actual work day--the real deal while on the job--to try to depict what he was doing for some of the photos, I had to have him go back and "re-do, or re-create" a few scenes for some of the still photos, as i was also filming some video footage of the process too, and couldn't break from the filming sequence to take some of the still shots, until a particular film sequence was finished. Therefore, with this in mind, some of the photos had to be creatively arranged shortly after the fact, and so a few photos may appear in sequence a little different from the order they were originally taken in.

Website will still be several weeks out, as Jeff is too busy right now...

Though I can't be totally certain about this, i've suspected that Shrapnel not only uses the tool to accurately set his scope rings, but he might occasionally use it to open up a bottle of coca cola--Shrapnel style...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...