Originally Posted by Tony
Yeah, I could never figure the use of the two bars with points on end. Years ago I had a fine, fine machinist at the refinery where I was working at the time make a single bar (actually two) of OD equal to the average OD of a number of Leuplod scopes I owned at the time. With care and a touch of 1200 grit lapping compound I can get the rings set dead nutz. Once there, a final minor lap job and all is good. He also helped me out on a number of other what would have been high dollar fixes on a couple of cars. He was from Argentina and old school learned. If I could draw it properly he could nail it, quickly too.

it's nice to know there are guys out there that find innovative solutions to these problems--not only for the challenge--but to raise the bar as well. these same guys really care about their equipment, and they want to get as close to perfection as possible. just from what you're saying, you surely must be one of those people...

running into those individuals who are old school trained--none of this hurry up and "get the job done quick"--they want to achieve their best, and in their quest to bring that out, they often produce the best. you're really fortunate to meet a fellow like that machinist, as you were able to blend your ideas with his skill-sets in order to innovate the solution that surely carried the day...

i've been amazed (reading some past posts on this thread), at the clever innovations that some of the campfire members have utilized in order to achieve their goals--sockets, calipers, electrical tubing, etc., all very, very clever and innovative--and it handily achieved their goal--to get the job done, and to get it done well.

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...