CVA rec'd much bad press in the '90's over quality concerns. These faulty steel alloy and tempering problems were corrected many years ago.

I've owned a CVA Optima for several years. I bought it second hand from my friend's son who had to have the latest and greatest Apex model. It came without an Owners Manual. I contacted CVA and they kindly sent me a PDF link.

I use Triple 7 powder. 105 grains produces best accuracy for me and I've certainly tried many loads. The crusher sabot cup and .430 Hornady XTP 240 grain bullet is my hunting load.

The various F powders are virtually obsolete. Yes, they were fine in their day but Triple 7 and others provide better performance and slightly cleaner,too. Unless you already have a container of FFF, I wouldn't consider hunting with it.

That being said, there are scores of muzzle-loader hunters who favor the Hawkins style of the early 1800's. They love their FFF powders loaded from genuine ox horn powder containers along with leather fringed jackets and the whole Jeremiah Johnson/Jim Bridger outfits. I have no quarrel with these dedicated hunters. They won't be changing anytime soon to Triple 7. Each to his own I say; my focus is scope sighted and easy to operate and clean.

Hope this is helpful.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!