Mike,

I tried that and with my dies, I couldn't get the belt short enough to chamber. The .240 case made from .270 was too long and had to be trimmed. The shoulders weren't fully formed and would look better after the first firing.

I agree with John. With the right die set up, that could be done. Even with a big press, such an operation takes a lot of "elbow grease". It also takes a good coating of Imperial die wax. Forget the usual case lube stuff.

.240 Wby cases are expensive, but IMHO, not so expensive as to warrent all that work. And .240 cases formed from .270 brass look rough. Mine had a ring of pealed brass that I had to grind off the leading edge of the newly formed belt.

Now, with my .257 Wby, making brass from new 7mm Rem Mag cases was a breeze. Old brass is work hardended and twice as hard to form. The formed cases, BTW, were slightly shorter than SAAMI specs and the shoulders were fully formed with one pass thru the .257 Wby FL sizing die. I never bought Wby brass for my .257, just W/W 7mm RM brass. Reportedly W/W brass is harder than Norma/Wby and the primer pockets last longer but I never had the factory stuff to compare.

DF