I've owned several Savage 24's. My first was a 20/.22 Magnum from the 1960's, with barrels that were actually soldered together, and decent wood. Unfortunately the shotgun barrel shot VERY high.

Many of the later 24's could be somewhat adjusted to get the rifle and shotgun barrels to shoot close to the same place, but I also found they could come out of adjustment.

I always resnted only having one shot gun round as well, so eventually gave up and started spending more money on drillings. Have had up to 3 at a time, but am down to 2 now, one a slightly earlier Daly/Sauer 12x12/.30-30 like Steelheads, but with outside hammers, and the other a Sauer 16x16/6.5x57R with a claw-mounted scope, along with a Krieghoff insert for the right barrel that shoots .22 Long Rifles to point of aim at 50 yards.

Both cost somewhat more than a Savage, but not as much as many people would expect. They work a LOT better than a Savage.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck