Originally Posted by boatanchor
cant believe such little talk on this topic about the Baikal IZH94. was imported for about a year by Remington by the model # SPR94 and now imported through EAA and USSG as the MP-94.
I own a 223/12ga and a 308/12ga [Linked Image]

Great little gun with a few problems. absolutely the worst recoil pad on the planet and brutal trigger's. spend a little time with one and you will have to have one

Yea, so, compared to my Zoli which has NO recoil pad and that is NOT an issue due to the very well designed stock. Everyone that has fired it was surprised that it had no recoil pad.

My gun weighs in at 9lbs with 7 rounds of 12ga, 5 7x57R cartridges, scope, butt pack and sling. It also had a very nice crisp trigger on both the rifle and shotgun barrels plus a set trigger for the rifle.

It also had regulated barrels that are joined together, not a functional thing. And actually the floating gap barrels on the Baikal are easier to deal with, just not that attractive. Some makers provide a plastic insert to "bridge" the canyon and this would do a lot to improve the Baikal appearance wise.

Would I buy a MP-94/ Baikal? You bet, I hear a lot of nice things about accuracy, and ruggedness, however; I would prefer it in a rimmed cartridge since I'm not to sure how reliable long term these weapons are with rimless extraction. BUT it would never be my first choice unless I felt I could not come up with the cash for a Valmet or an Italian made version of the Valmet. Balance, handling qualities and appearance do count for something. If I found one at a gun show under $500 I'd probably buy it regardless of caliber configuration.