Ok, I expect some flack on this. I admit this is probably a "white-trash" cape gun, but I think it will actually worked out pretty well for its intended purpose, short range bear and turkey gun and camp gun.

I had a cheap double barrel shotgun, a Stoeger Coach gun,anyway. Didn't use it all that much, handled nice though, but always seemed to miss with the left barrel. So, at a gun show some guy is selling a Tanfoglio 45-70 insert that fits a 20 inch barrel, which is the length of my coach gun. I buy it, take it home and it fits! I taped some iron sights on the gun and went out to the range, it didn't blow up and the bullets all went in the same direction.

I had the sights permanently mounted, looks good, they were XS or OX or whatever peep system I had from a 45-70 lever gun. After about 50 rounds of messing around, and I mean getting really creative, I now have a "cape gun" that will hold a 3 to 4 inch group with the left barrel 45-70 insert and a combined 6 inch group with Brenneke slugs out of the right. Granted this is at 50yds, which is fine, it's actually very impressive at 25yds. Some reloading might tweek the group size down a bit.

Interesting note: The left barrel shot 18 inches plus to the left of the right barrel! (So now I have a valid BS excuse for all the left barrel missed shots as noted above.) By moving the barrel insert around considerably I was able to "regulate" it with the right.

OK, I nominate this as the cheapest home made combination gun. Now whether I actually kill anything other than a few camp pests with it remains to be seen. It now lives in my hunting/fishing trailer. My wife loves it as bear repellant, put a plastic slug in the right side, and if the bear doesn't move off, the left barrel will make an impression.