TOM, that wasn't in response to you. I posted before I noticed you had posted.

Given your belief that reticles are "faster" have you tested it? I will give that if the target is at the exact range line then of maybe it will be marginally quicker. One problem that plagues these argument is that it would seem to make sense that dialing would take more time, but it really doesn't work out that way when put on a timer.

That me give an example-

I see a deer feeding on a hillside. I pull up my binoculars and determine that I want to kill it. Since I use binoculars with a RF in them I range it and it comes up as 477 yards away. Up to this point whether I use a reticle or turrets to adjust for range everything is the same. Say I'm using a standard hunting rifle that pushes a common bullet around 2,900 fps at the muzzle. Doesn't matter which one, they're all about the same at this range.

Lets do the reticle first...
I range it at 477 yards. I see that there is a small rise ten feet ahead that would make a good shooting position and take off my pack for a rest as I move to the rise. As I'm getting the bag set up I continue to watch the deer and try to pick up visual cues for my wind hold off. I can feel it on my cheek coming from my right and it is barely moving the dead leaves and grass on the hill. I figure it's around 5-7MPH and a slightly angling to me. Since I do not have anything to adjust for wind with in the reticle, it can't be too strong or I really will just be guessing where to hold. But it's not and I know that an edge hold on the vitals will produce a hit in these conditions. The deer is facing to my left, as I get settled into position. I play with the reticle for a few seconds making sure that the gap between the 400 and 500 yard lines (hopefully the lines really are at even distances and not landing at 435 and 562yds) are correct and that my wind hold looks good. I takes a moment because not only am I interpreting where to aim elevation wise but also I have only where I think edge of the vitals are. Finally convinced that all is correct I take a couple deep breathes and press the trigger. Total time from start to finish for a good hit with be in the 12-15 second range at best. I know this because I've put it on the timer hundreds of times.

Now the scenario looks the same for dialing except that once I get the range and am moving to the rise, I look down and spin the turret to just below the "5" mark that I've taped to the top of the turret for quick reference. Everything else is the same except that I just put the reticle on the right wind hold. Since I'm only holding for one axis (horizontal) it is much quicker with less second guessing and fussing over whether it looks right. Total time from start to finish is 9-10 seconds. Again I know this because we've timed it hundreds of times. The time it takes to adjust the turret (really under two seconds) is done during the movement into position, whether it's ten feet to a better rest or straight down into prone. It adds no time to the shot. And then once you are aimed at the animal it is faster because you can see immediately when the aiming point is inside the vitals. Using a reticle it takes a few moments more to visually accept that your "guess" is right.

And this is with extremely experienced shooters. The less skill the shooter has the more misses they have and the longer it takes them to get a hit with reticles.