Originally Posted by FredWillis
Lets get to the basics of what I have been discussing. I've been shooting ground squirrels for over 50 years. Until the range finder came out, I depended on very flat shooting rifles like the 220 swift.Then I bought my first RF and the guessing game was over. When the target knobs and RF came into play together, everything changed. Hitting a tangerine size target at two to 400 yards was possible if one did their homework.

But, it was still calculate and verify.Today is much easier, just chronograph, run the ballistics program and everything is close. For big game, it is likely more than adequate. But for Sage Rats and rockchucks,the point of impact must be verified. Now I don't know about all of you, but that requires a lot of shooting at the various ranges. First off, even some of the old guys are shy about shooting 300-500 yards. Thus they show that hollow look in their eyes when trying to figure it out. I just think we have to classify what we are hunting before making a determination of what is right and wrong.

fred with all due respect to a man of your age. (im personaly 77 and in a rehab center as i type this due to total hip replacment.)
but you were apperently born in the wrong state as for shooting. especially long range shooting.
rangefinders have been in use by many since shortly after ww2. in fact i still own, use, and prefer my old ww2 unit
to my swarovski lazer.
we currently are killing no more long range deer in pa than were being killed 50 years ago. regardless of all the new creations to do it with. and that my friend is fact.
a 12x unertle and that swift you have was lighting up chuck fields there 60 years ago and longer.
dialing scopes came about thru necessity by varmit hunters, mostly groundhog hunters.
the original 1000 yd benchrest club in williamsport pa was started by hunters. ground hog hunters.
many of them also used their rigs for deer hunting.
so all this dialing stuff isnt new. its just new to some. the new optics are no doubt superior to those of 50 years ago. but in some cases it can be more confusing today. especially newcomers. mills, minits, clicks, this reticle that reticle and on and on.
and of coarse all kinds of internet opinions and help.
back then it was 1/4 min clicks if your scope was set up correctly. we knew how many clicks it took at the various distances we shot because somebody did the work. we aso knew it was 50 clicks for a full turn, 2 turns were 100 and so forth. also usefull was we knew how to get on the deer or hog with the next shot if we missed. is that cheating?
it was and is the kiss system. highly reccomended for old polish monkeys smile