Originally Posted by FredWillis
deflave

I have not tried to teach the use to younger guys or gals. But the ones I am teaching tend to be mid to late 60's and they just have trouble getting their heads around the concept.

Sometimes it a lot easier for someone to learn if they try the basic mechanics before they get thrown into the deep end on the theory. I strongly suspect that if someone had the time to work with your friends on setting up their systems, they wouldn't have any trouble doing it, and eventually after working with the mechanics and basic concepts they would have a better understanding of the overall concept. If they got to shoot with your gun and your drop charts a few rounds before you or someone else helped them set up their system, they would see how simple turrets are to use once the system is set up.

For instance:
1. I'm sure they all understand (or could be quickly taught) how to zero at 100 yards.
2. If they can zero at 100 yards, they can shoot at a bullsye at other distances (e.g., 200, 300, 400 yards).
3. They can measure the vertical distance between the center of the bullseye and the center of the impact holes.
4. Someone can help them figure out how many clicks are needed for each distance they shot at: for 100 yard zero multiply vertical distance by ratio of 100 over the range at which the target was placed and then multiply by the number of clicks per inch at 100 yards (or using mils if their scope has mil-based adjustments). They can do the math as long as you stick with a 100 yard zero. If they want to change their zero distance as they learn more, they can, but keeping it simple at first allows them to get into the game.
5. Someone can help them use a ballistic software package to set up their drop chart for intermediate ranges (WITH CLICKS and/or MOA or mils, depending on their scope, listed for simplicity) for the elevation they will be shooting.
6. They won't have much, if any, trouble figuring out how to spin a turret and return it to zero (they just have to pay a little attention to what they are doing), and they would have already done it a few times using your setup so they can see how easy it is.
7. Once they have 1-6 knocked out, all they have to do is practice. They can learn windage holds, using their reticle, as they are practicing.

If they are having trouble anywhere along the way, just keep it as simple as possible like keeping 100 yards as their zero distance rather than using a more "optimal" distance zero (e.g., for MPBR for their load).