Originally Posted by Okanagan
Steve, Thank you for your graciousness to my clumsy humour.

As to your question: for deer with 30-30 for me it would be 150 grain c&c purchased at the cheapest hunting season sale I could find. Remington cor-locts would be my first choice if I could find them on sale. $50 for 30-30 deer ammo!!?? No way.

I have a bolt action 30-30 and have been tempted to hand load some pointed bullets for it, but never have.

That's what I'd do too. Buy something on sale or at least cheap. I did own a NEF Handi in 30-30 and tried pointy bullets, but things didn't pan out.

Originally Posted by Okanagan
I keep thinking that I met you at an Outdoor Canada get together at the publisher's in Toronto way back probably in the 80's. Possible?

This is very possible. After I came home from Europe and was posted Quebec, I was trying (unsuccessfully) to flog some of my work in magazines like OOOD, OC and Western Sportsman. I spent time making the rounds.

[Linked Image]
Bob Jones

My old military instructor, Robert H. Jones, (Sgt Bob, Capt Nemo) used to write for OOOD, BC Outdoors and some others. He'd drag me to the odd event. The last one before he moved to Vancouver Island was a hunting and fishing show at the International Centre in Mississauga. He was working the OOOD fishing pond where you could hook a plastic fish and win a prize - a lure, 1 yr subscriptions, etc. Good for the kids. Cheesy for the grown ups.

Anyway, it was bad timing on my part as the anti-gun rhetoric was at full tilt. Unless you were on staff at a magazine, you weren't going to get much published. I was still in the military and was not going to chance pulling the plug for two or three published articles a year!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]