around the fall of 2006, i purchased a pistol from a cat in southern california--it was a 620.00 rig listed on gunsamerica. i used a us postal money order to pay for it.

a few days later, the guy emailed me that he got my check, and thanked me for it, and said he would mail the gun out immediately. several days later, no gun. i contacted him both by phone and email. he informed me that his sister was in stage 4 cancer, and that he couldn't ship the gun for a couple of weeks, as he was leaving for texas to be by her side.

i called a detective in the local police department there, and then sent them via email all of the documentation--the original ad, emails, copy of us money order, etc.

the detective paid the guy a visit, telling him he had two days to get me a valid check, and provide the department with a photocopy as proof. the guy called me and said, "you went to the police". i told him that guys like him needed that as a deterrent to his type of behavior. a few days later, i got a check in the mail--a valid bank check--and cashed it. i thanked the detective for their work, for without it i would have been scammed. sad part is, after making a complaint about this to gunsamerica--at least to my knowledge anyway--gunsamerica may have done nothing about it at all, so i no longer look at that website, preferring gunbroker or auction arms.

though only one experience--perhaps you too could get your money back by a similar means.

Last edited by Hi_Vel; 08/12/12. Reason: corrected the purchase amount from $650.00, to $620.00

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...