Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Am I the only one who doesn't care for them? If I want something light, I'll grab a lever gun with irons. If I'm using a bolt action, I want something with a med-heavy sporter barrel and a substantial walnut stock....am I the only one?

I read you guys writing about shaving a couple of ounces here and there and I kinda scratch my head most of the time...
............I`m sure you are not the only one who favors what you do where the bolt action rifles are concerned.

However!......What happens if one wants to hunt with a light weight/all day carrying bolt rifle for use in wide open flatter and hilly country where shots can easily be @ 300 yards?,,,@ 400 yards?,,,maybe @ 500 yards?

Are you then going to grab your light weight "lever gun with irons" (no scope) under those particular circumstances? Imo, if someone prefers a lever for longer ranged open country, then I hope that they would be at very least use a scoped Marlin 308 Express.

Depending on the lever barrel length, some very light weight bolt action rifles along with using light weight scopes and rings, might actually weigh the same and maybe a little less than do the levers with iron sites only.

As for me personally, a light weight bolt action rifle will cover all the basis, whereas an un-scoped lever will not.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger