My hunting is generally either rolling wood hills, grasslands, or mountains. Critters of interest are deer, wolves, black bear, elk, moose, goats, and sheep.

To date my rifles are 8 to 9 lbs. My goto is a 9lb Model 70 in 338wm. So far I have not given it much thought, and yes that is up and down real mountains like the Northern Rocky trench. Last year I made four trips up a mountain with my 338 in a safari sling across my shoulders packing meat all day.

And this is why I pack it everywhere. This was this fall on the same lake I hunt off. He is related to a coworker.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/09/24/bc-grizzly-attack-fort-nelson.html

Having said this it doesn't matter what you use it is about getting out there. I personally don't care for levers and short rifles as I find them too short and awkward. And it's not about being a tough guy, one of the guys I hunt with up there is 63, packs an old walnut Parker Hale in 7mmrm and he can out walk me and out pack me - and I'm not a slouch.

If and when I start to notice the weight I'll buy a Kimber Montana in 338 or a NULA 24B in 3006. Shoot what you like and shoot it well.

Last edited by Westcoaster; 11/25/12. Reason: grmr