An honest-to-goodness lightweight is 2nd on my need/want list after another AR lower. It will get used for antelope, mule deer and elk. While I'll practice to 600 yards (the limits of my range), the longest shots I've taken in 31 years of big game hunting were 399 yards for my elk three weeks ago and 350 yards for an elk some years ago. All others have been under 300 yards. The lightweight rifle, therefore, should be completely adequate at 400 yards and provide acceptable performance at 600 given a broadside opportunity.

Lower recoil is more pleasurable for long range sessions and whatever rifle I get can expect significantly more range than field use. Also, I don't particularly want a cartridge I already load for, with the possible exception of the .280 Rem. That limits the available cartridges somewhat. Short magnums are not ruled out completely but the only one I'm seriously interested in is the .300RCM.

For barrel length I like the 20" of the Ruger RCMs but final length may be shorter or up to 22" depending on action and other factors. A full custom is unlikely although some mods, like shortening the barrel and restocking are acceptable.

Short Action:
.260 Rem
7mm-08
.308 Win
.300RCM

Long Action:
6.5-06
.270 Win
.280 Rem

Long action cartridges don't excite me that much although I haven't completely ruled them out. The .270 Win would be a good choice in a long action but no better than the 6.5-06 or .280 Rem. Moreover I don't currently load any .277" bullets and don't need another pile of bullet boxes in my reloading area. For all the others, short action or long, I already keep a good selection of bullets on hand. Since I already have a 7mm RM, .280 Rem and 6.5-06AI, a standard 6.5-06 with a 22" barrel would be a good long-action choice for what I want.

If my .280 Rem was a bolt gun I'd probably just chop the barrel, put a lightweight synthetic on it and call it good. More likely is a used Remington SA in a McMillan Edge or a Ruger Compact (20" barrel, 6.75 pounds) in .308 Win or .300RCM.

Like many here, yes, I could lose more weight by shedding my love handles. Working on that too, down 22 pounds since mid-September, another 22 to go.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.