I hunt moose on the Kenai Penisula (my permanent home)5 miles hike-in back in with a .338 RU 77- total tricked out weight about 10 lbs - average range of kills for 20 bulls (off hand, usually) about 70 yards.

Just killed two caribou off the ATV a couple weeks ago here on the Baldwin Penisula (in the Arctic where I am currently living)somewhat in excess of 300 yards with a Rem 725 SA, rebarreled to .260 with a 700TI (featherweight) barrel.

Needs a good solid rest - and good rangeing...see my post on the Alaska forum.

But then there are those big hairy buggers down there on the Kenai - and much smaller chances of encounters here of same on the Baldwin- at least this time of year. Not that I haven't carried it for moose on the Kenai (unsuccesfully). Killed a Colorado elk with it a few years back..

BUT, the lighter the rifle, the better your rest better be....

Both .338 and .260 shoot around MOA with the right loads. Guess which one would go on a sheep hunt? As for hunting off an ATV, snowmachine, or a couple miles back in to base camp- it just doesn't make a difference - I just now want to kill a bunch of stuff more with the .260..... smile I could easily be doing the same job with the .338, or one of my 7-8.5 lb '06s.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.