The year I got out of high school I hunted with some guys I didn't know on opening day. Two of them were brothers, one was one of those who kinda floated around from job to job if you catch my drift. He was a pretty funny guy however. He was blind in one eye and he wore a ski mask a lot while hunting and one eye hole would wind up on top of his head. One guy would pull it down and say "I know it doesn't bother you but it bugs the schit out of me looking at it" lol.

I was semi sick and came in early and one of the brothers comes in and said he shot a big buck but couldn't find it. Me and his brother go out to help him find it.

We find one little speck of blood and a sapling that got hit. I sit on the blood drop and everyone else fans out to look for more blood. We did this for a while hoping from one blood spot to another.

After 2 hours we walk right up to him, laying down on a ridge facing away from us. Walked up and everyone was talking for a few minutes when the buck sprang to life and his brother took a shot with a winchester 94 from the hip and nailed him right in the neck from about 2 feet away. Was a pretty spiffy shot.

I'm not sure the guy even hit the deer with his bullet. The only damage on the deer was his ball sack was swollen up real large and bloody. I'm not sure he didn't hit that tree and bark shoot that buck and he went to lay low and wait for everyone to leave like they always had.

Buck came about 6" from roaring right thru one guy.

Been around a crapload of hogs and killed a bunch but never had a run in with any. Did have a bobcat that tried to stalk me once while I was cruising timber. Not really dangerous but was amusing. I was crawling thru a blackberry thicket and came face to face with it. Backed out and sat on a log to eat lunch and I saw it circle around and try sneaking up on me.

The closest I've come to actual physical danger involved getting ambushed by a game warden who failed to identify himself who pulled up behind us behind a locked gate. It's probably as close as I ever want to come to a shootout.

Last edited by NathanL; 01/17/13.

Otto is my co-pilot.