Turkey hunting in western Washington back in the early 90's I had quite the experience. Western Washington is dense....real dense as far as vegetation goes. Had the pleasure to call in a female cougar and two half grown kittens.

I first saw the adult just about 25 yards to my left up the skidder road that I was sitting along. Actually I was in the ditch depression in full camo. At the same time the two youngsters were walking across the same skidder road right at me from my right. They got within 5 or 6 yards. My buddy who was sitting next to me made a hand gesture and gently spooked the young ones as they moved back across the road.

Momma was calling and when they didn't follow, she came back around and appeared right in front of us. She then saw the decoy and approached it. She was withing a couple feet of pouncing on the decoy itself. At this point I had slowly pulled out my camera, put it up and took a picture. At hearing the shutter she paused and looked directly at me, allowing for a once in a lifetime picture.

After the second camera sound she and the youngsters quickly departed. I measured the distance where she was and it was just short of 12 yards. Quite the experience to say the least. Puts the hair right up on your neck. They are so quiet.

Bonus....Later that day I called in and shot a gobbler on the ridge above where we were. One of those special days afield.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."