Sitting in the pasture calling coyotes for a buddy who had never shot one. I'm sitting with my back to a big oak tree, facing upwind working my Hadel's Govt. Trapper jackrabbit squeaker & my buddie's on the other side facing downwind in full camo, with his .280 Remington. This guy's never even seen a coyote up close & personal, much less shot one...
When I started blowing through the squeaker call the second time, a big male coyote busts out of the brush on a komakazi run straight at my buddy from 30 yards away! Buddy hadn't expected any varmits that close, & had his Leupold Variable on 10 Power... So at the last second, he pokes his rifle barrel straight out & pulls the trigger as the coyote makes contact with the barrel !
Kinda like in the movies, where the old black powder guns set the bad guys clothes on fire from a contact shot !
Burning Coyote hide smells pretty rank at point blank range! Buddy never asked me to take him coyote hunting after that.

I've been bow hunting deer here at the ranch using a ground blind, & have had baby piglets & a momma sow step right across my extended leg!
Definately Not a good time to grab a piglett by the tail, but mighty tempting!

Same buddy was bow hunting with me here at the ranch, & had a armadillo crawl in the ground blind between his legs. He flung his recurve & hauled ass & scared the crap out of that poor old armadillo !
Another budd I took bow hunting here for Turkeys, shot a big Gobbler that went down in a heap. He walked over to pick it up & the ole Gobbler tried to fly away as he picked it up by the feet ! It's kinda hard to wring a Turkeys neck while holding it by the legs with one hand, and holding your bow in the other!
Mighty entertaining, though, just wish I had it on Video!

Stepped on lots of big rattlesnakes here at the Ranch, & I really really hate those damn things! But it does prove that White Men Can Jump REALLY High!!! grin

My only really close encounter was having a big ole male cougar walk with in 10 yards of me while bow hunting in that same ground blind. We stared each other down for what seemed like an eternity, & he finally turned & headed down the deer trail.
After, that little encounter, I never leave the house for bow hunting here at the ranch without a six - shooter in 45 LC strapped on or at least my Glock 10mm.
Which, BTW, is perfectly Legal here in TX while bow hunting for deer if you have a CHL Permit.
Your Bow & Arrow sure feel like tiny toys when your eye to eye with a big ole cat! I've seen cat tracks here all my life at the Ranch because we are right on the Brazos River. But that's the first one I ever saw that wasn't in a zoo!

Last edited by chlinstructor; 01/18/13.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~