If the guide has Barneys frame packs as lenders, it might not be a bad deal. Barney packs are simple to adjust to your torso length and do not present the lumbar pressure issues that an internal frame can. A Barneys can be fitted to you in 15 minutes or less.

If his packs are internal frames, even high end Kifaru, you will need to spend a good deal of time getting the pack fitted to you. Doing that while hiking with your load is not a good plan. It has taken me three months of tinkering to get a used Kifaru Longhunter fitted to where it works on my goofy back.

The one thing you will need to do is work out with a pack on. The added weight causes your body to use muscles differently than excerise does. Your leg, hip, back, stomach, and shoulders will all need to get used to the increase in load. You do not want to hit day two or three of your hunt and not be able to move due to muscle sorness or strain. So get a pack with 30 to 40 pounds in it and put in some miles on the bleachers.

get a "puffy" coat insulated with primaloft one or sport fiber. You will be spending a good deal of time sitting and glassing in cool conditions that may also be windy. Wildthings Gear is making custom puffy jackets now. Pretty nice process. Or you can hit any of the mountaineering gear sites and get a Micro Puff or Compressor for not much coin. May even look into puffy pants for sitting around.

Merino wool base layer and drawers. Merino socks as well.

Layering in fleece works for the large temperature swings during the day.

Gloves - you will need something that can handle water. Most ski gloves leak since they are for frozen water and not rain. I have been using the Chilly Grippers in camo for a couple of years now. Not water proof, but they stay warm when wet and have a great rubber palm and finger protection.

Light weight synthetic hiking pants that breath well. I have been training in a pair of convertable hiking pants from cabelas and they work well so far.

A book to read or one of those e-books like a kindle with a solar charger. AK Range can mean a day or two stuck in a tent in rain or fog.

A small LED head lamp like the Vizz or a zebra. Needs to work in the rain.

Probably not a lot of rainbow fishing while sheep hunting, but afterwards there are spots to head to. In August egg patterns and flesh flys work best, but never underestimate a bead head prince nymph. There will be silvers around then as well so you might want to plan on an after hunt fishing trip to somewhere like Seward or Valdez or Kenai.

Last edited by Yakataga; 05/24/13.