I have never hunted in Alaska, but, have spent quite some time in northern BC, hunting and other stuff as well as having lived for periods of three straight months alone on top of a mountain, right on the BC-AK border. I also have backpacked for work and recreation since spring 1964, all over BC and some of Alberta.

So, I would suggest.

1. Poles, I have Komperdell C3s and Black Diamond Carbon whatevers, their top model. I tried Lekies, do not care for anti-shock, some do some don't--I prefer the BDs to any others I have tried.

2. Gaiters, I have several different pairs for different uses and do not go into the mountains without at least one pair. I am buying others to try, as these are a crucial part of MY clothing.

3. Range finder....I AM buying one, just put this off as I have not been able to hunt much for three years as my wife was very ill and my partner has one. BUT, I definitely consider them VERY worthwhile and, btw, I am a former wilderness worker whose job entailed judging distances quickly and am good at it, still, a Leica 12 or 1600 is in MY future.

4. Wet feet KILL a trip, USE the anti-perspirant, have spare socks, change 2-3 times per day and I like Gold Bond Foot Powder plus I prefer plastic bandaids, the large ones covered by fabric Elastplast over moleskin AND I bandage instantly when I feel a "hot spot".

5. Listen to SD on footwear and gloves,he is right and while beeswax is a lot of work to do right and many boots cannot be so treated as you dare not heat them due to plastic heel counters, so use Obenauf's OP, the beeswax is better than ANY other H2O proofing for all leather boots.

6. I NEVER go ANYWHERE, even with a companion, without a very light emergency camp, would have my own GPS and BUY YOUR OWN DECENT pack, as most in gear stores know jackschit about pack fitting, especially for hunting loads.

Last, yappy old geezer that I am, I use 1.75x6. 2.5x8 Leupies, 3x9-Z3 Swaros and 3x9 Conquests on my lighter rifles and I find the Leupies as good as you will ever need in the mountains and LIGHTER than the somewhat optically better Conquests-I don't like the more costly Swaro and won't buy another.

The final suggestion, most crucial for we OLD guys, get into the best shape of your life and then improve that, this really makes the difference.......and, use the .308!

HTH, and may I offer you the very best of luck on your hunt smile