To kscowboy,

If the only outerwear you have is gore-tex, you will be soaked most of the time, from the inside due to sweating. Until you actually do some climbing in the sheep mtns., you have no idea how much work it will be. And if (when) it rains, you will get even wetter from the rain. The gore-tex will work good for breaking the wind while ridge top glassing. Don't expect it to keep you dry if get into a good ol' Alaskan rainy spell.

Take some quick drying, breathable outer wear and be sure to pack some GOOD rain gear. If you happen to have a wet hunt, the gore-tex won't keep you dry. Surprised that none of the AK locals have mentioned this fact yet. Some like the HH Impertech. It works great but some will complain about the weight of it. Marmot Precip rain gear seems to work well as does Red Ledge rain gear.

Cut weight on your gear any place you can. Every ounce will add up quickly and you'll be leaving more and more things at camp each day you hunt. I see no need for a huge, heavy rifle scope. I have used a 2.5 x 8 Leupold on all of my sheep hunts and it has worked fine. One poster mentioned taking a regular space blanket. Do it!! It will help keep you warm and dry if you need to spend a night or two away from camp. Pack your items that must stay dry in zip lock bags. I always try to leave a dry pair of long underwear at camp to change into before crawling in my sleeping bag. In the morning the damp ones go back on, so that I will again have some dry clothes to sleep in. Other than the extra set of longhandles and a couple extra pair of socks, the only clothes I take are the ones I am wearing plus a warm jacket and rain gear. Sometimes one water bottle is enough, other times two may be needed. Ask your guide.

Will you need hip boots for stream crossings before you start climbing??

Think about running steps to get in shape for climbing. If you don't have any nearby, your basement steps, if you have them, will work fine. Run them until you can make 100 trips up and down in 20 minutes or less. Running or walking on flat ground does nothing to strengthen the muscles used while climbing.

Take a small camera and take LOTS of pictures. If the camera uses a rechargable battery, take a fully-charged extra one along.

If you have a leather rifle sling, get a nylon one. The leather will get wet and heavy and take a while to dry...the nylon one will dry quickly. Don't forget some type of scope covers to keep the lenses dry.

A few of duct tape can come in very handy. Wrap some around a tooth brush handle or buy a small roll from an outdoor shop.

You will be eating different food. Take along a few meds to get your "plumbing" uncloged if that becomes a problem and also take along something to slow down the 'flow' if that becomes a problem. Best way to avoid either problem is to stay hydrated.

Have a GREAT hunt and ENJOY Alaska!!!