Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by cwh2
In the brooks in August, I'd go pretty heavy on bug protection, and lighter on clothes. For sure you want some insulation, but you don't need redundant layers. I'd go with a goretex type rain gear (lighter) as well.

I probably go way too heavy in sleeping bag, but we generally hunt the late season. I like an ice axe in some situations, but I wouldn't carry one for that location and time of year. Trekking poles will be very handy. Anti-shock is an absolute gimmick in my opinion, but I watched a buddy destroy a pair of "anti-shock" poles in a single hunt, and haven't looked at it since.

Be prepared to cover a lot of ground. If you are not going up/down or sidehilling, you will be in soggy lumpy tundra or rocky river/creek bottoms. There is some nice walking, but it will never last more than 100 yards.

I realize you skinny bastards can do all sorts of teleporting, mind-bending, kid dragging, fat-old-man abusing, and such without breaking a sweat... but how did you change the OP's hunt from the AK Range to the Brooks?

Just realized it, sorry, got it, man I am dumb, and why didn't I realize you were just trying to keep the AK Range to yourself! wink

I guess my mind was just in the brooks? Ignore all that Brooks-range specific info... my bad.

There are no sheep in the AK range, but I'd still love to keep it to myself.