Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
certainly no expert, but I've been fortunate to use some decent packs

Barney's, McHale, Mystery Ranch and Kifaru packs.

if I'm going to have to haul a butt busting load, I'll take the Barney's thank you. YMMV

Are you saying here that you have found the Barney's external frame pack, which is, as I understand it---and, I freely admit, I have not seen one, only photos--- to be BETTER at hauling really heavy loads than one of Dan McHale's custom expedition packs?

I ask, not to further foolish controversy over "whose is best", but, I am considering the purchase of an "Inex" from Dan and he does offer varying grades of "frame" rigidity, depending on your projected loads. So, did you have one of his large, big load packs correctly fitted to YOU and, if so, was this LESS comfortable, FOR YOU, than the Barney's?

I think that I have read MAYBE 2 negative comments about the Barney's packs over my 9 years on various forums and while that design, the old CampTrails "Freighter" is one I have extensive experience with, I understand that there are improvements over it, in the actual Barney's packs.

So, I am impressed by all the positive feedback concerning them and am just curious as to the McHale issue?