That is VERY interesting, I knew Grizzly researchers 30-40+ years ago, who would pour anhydrous ammonia around their mountain tented campsites and told us that this repelled Grizzlies.

I don't know, never tried it and in the many years where I would spend months alone with only a supply trip once every six weeks living in some of the most densely populated Grizzly country on Earth, I just kept a meticulously clean camp, burned ALL organic wastes AND cans, bottles, etc and watched what/where and how I did things. I had several close encounters, but, no real problems and I enjoy seeing these bears up close...as long as they are "friendly".

However, the thing that I have found extensive bush time teaches is NOT how "much" you know...it is how LITTLE and also how humility REALLY is your best "tool" for bush life.

I am going to get some mothballs and test this in the Kootenays with bears and a "bait" as this is perhaps the best "tip" that I have ever been given, other than to stay away from "slides".