Originally Posted by BrotherBart
What's the big deal? My Springfield A3-03 (280 Ackley) will go off if you take the safety off after pulling the trigger when the safety is on. It'll learn you to lift the bolt after pulling the trigger when it's on safe.
It sure gets your attention the first time it happens.

Have been quite reluctant to get into this issue on this thread for a number of reasons, but your question and comments seem to have taken it in a misleading direction. Misleading cannot be let stand in a serious circumstance. The big deal? -- your stated scenario is NOT what occurred.

That trigger was never touched once the pin was cocked - neither before nor after the safety was engaged. The involved shooter rarely, if ever, engages the safety on any rifle. His setup and concentration at the bench were interrupted by a self-appointed "helper" (unwanted) who walked in and got right down behind the scope eyepiece.

The shooter, being quite surprised and not certain what the "helper" intended to do, engaged the safety - for reasons of safety. Fortunately, the "helper" did not touch the rifle and eventually backed away. Then, while getting ready ready to aim, the shooter simply disengaged the safety. "BANG"

A number of very good and experienced riflemen watched that occur - so, yeah, a real attention-getter. To me, that malfunction was a pretty big deal. How about for you, BrotherBart?

Supplement here: I did not witness the event, but was well-advised that during the same day at the gathering a different rifle of the same manufacture/model fired spontaneously - no trigger touch - when the shooter simply closed the bolt. Another attention-getter.

Last edited by CCCC; 08/13/13.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron