Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

I wish we had had a video camera running the whole time. Moments like............. Dave's (Paladin) prowess with big-bore handguns at long range and the many coins he shot out of the air with his Mod 41 S&W (souvenirs for the kids grin )............ .

Great memories!

Ed

Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
A word to the wise; never, EVER, get in a shooting match with a guy who can hit quarters that he threw in the air....

[Linked Image]

All in all a level of shooting skill that one reads about but rarely gets to witness cool

Birdwatcher

Sooo true what Mike/Birdwatcher summarized above about Dave/Paladin's shooting skills!! His skill was certainly entertaining....... guess I'm just a big kid at heart as I got some great souvenirs!! The four quarters that Mike/Birdwatcher posted a picture of were ones that I'd watched David shoot out of the air. Unfortunately I lost the quarter with the good edge hit in the packing up/unpacking process.....here are some close up pictures of the three remaining quarters;

The best centered hit(actually this quarter was thrown and hit twice as there is a nick hit on the edge);
[Linked Image]

Comparison front and back;

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dave was getting a lot of practice shooting the quarters and ask if I had a dime as he was going to try shooting that also. A dime is about 3/4 the size of a quarter so that definitely upped the challenge/skill level!! In his attempts to hit the dime he got one really good hit that just launched way way up and was never found when it came back down........a number of us observers went out searching for it but to no avail. On Sunday morning, after a good night's rain, I went back out to that shooting area determined to find that damn dime!! I spent a fair amount of time doing the "needle in the haystack" or "dime in a forest of pine needles" search. Walked a grid pattern over quite a bit of the area out there. Finally as I was close to giving up I saw a glint from the early morning sun and discovered the missing dime!! I was thrilled to find it and also amazed at how the dime had shrapnel-ed out from the impact. I showed it to Dave and he'd never seen one do that before and that the well hit ones that launch out that high usually had a good hole in them. . I'd have loved to have had a dime with the hole as perfect as the first quarter pictured however just finding this one made my day!!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is a picture of four items for size comparison.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/XPLRN/2013/Quemato%202013/IMG_0417_zps4650d5ad.jpg[/img]

1. Golf ball = 1.675" in diameter (there was a string of them hung up @ the shooting area IIRC).

2. Quarter = .953" diameter.

3. Dime = .704" diameter.

4. .22 cartridge @ rim = .271" diameter.

In talking with Dave he mentioned that he used to throw .22 cartridges into the air and shoot the base of the cartridge which would provide positive proof of the hit thru detonation. Yes, I was amazed at the skill involved to acquire and hit something the size of a quarter/dime/.22 cartridge falling at the speed of gravity. Dave mentioned he'd spent 3+ decades acquiring that skill level but doesn't really do it much any more and that this was the most coin shooting he'd done in the past year or more.