Very cool, BW! You might give this a try. Used the Diamond for several years on "trek in" events.

Thanks for the link cool

FWIW the diamond set-up has been catching some flack from purists of late as being a re-enactorism i.e. not actually done back then. Though for my part I cannot quibble as they did not use 2x2's sawn into 4ft lengths to hold their tents up either grin

[Linked Image]

Most of what we have gotten to do are reenactments and living history where the public is invited to mingle at least part of the time. To that end we are looking to work up an arrangement that allows us to hide stuff out of sight if needed.

Also, given the crowded settings at such things, I am looking to work up a setup that uses as few staked ropes as possible, with a free-standing structure being the ideal. On top of all that it also has to fit into the back of an economy sedan.

Add to that we want to be able to walk the whole thing in on our backs (as opposed to backing a pickup truck to one's spot which is the most common procedure at these things) AND look reasonably period-correct while doing it.

To that end I'm thinking cedar poles instead of 2x2's would work, and going to a tripod arrangement at each end rather than the A-frame type deal in the pic might allow us to skip staked guy lines entirely.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744