Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by Scott F
My 700 did it twice both times on an empty chamber. I will only hunt with it with an empty chamber even though I have changed the trigger.

My ultra-fancy custom single-shot Nesika .220 Howell has a Remington 700 trigger with the Remington safety removed (by careful intent).

The shooter is the "safety." No round goes into the chamber (or the bolt closed) until the rifle is pointed at the intended target and the shooter is about to shoot. (It's a varmint rifle, so � )

i was sitting here reading this about the remington, and i got to thinking about the remington 660 in 350rem mag i have been working up. One of the first things i found out after buying the rifle was remington had a recall years ago because of it firing while the safety was moved. I replaced the whole fire control group with a timney. Then i got to thinking that i have been firing remingtons since at least since the 70's and have never had this happen. Then I got to thinking of Dr. Howell's remarks. Come to think of it I have never used the safety on any of them, prefering to leave the chamber empty until ready to fire. If i am not ready to fire, the chamber is emptied. I guess that is one way to avoid the problem. And come to think of it, it's the same thing on other rifles too.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO