Barrels are about as good as they can get. Scopes are the weak link in accuracy now.
It helps for readers to know the meanings of words if we're to communicate properly.

That is a pretty bold statement about the art of barrel making--10 years ago would you have laughed at the thought of Tim's 5C product? Scopes are and always be a weak point.

Understood as I should have known you were using the term in the abstract my error----one thing that has not been in this discussion is that the majority of folks who are reading this are not really capable of fully evaluating a load that is shot out of any barrel at long range esp (relative term I know) lets say 300yds because the wind and the shooters ability to read it will make the difference in knowing if a barrel is a hummer or a tire iron. Many times I have seen people who do not know how to read the conditions and make poor choices in when to pull the trigger and then read the corresponding result on the target as �what a POS barrel or load�. I am talking about friends who just want the factory Remmy to shoot little holes. I have taken the same rifle using the same loads explain how to use the wind drift chart and much of the time will cut the group size considerably. In the wind if you have a prevailing condition at 7oclock the bullet will strike low and a little to the right of center but many do not fully understand this dynamic and how it works. Should you want to properly evaluate the new barrel you had better understand this. It is a given that many other variables besides the above are involved but this is one of the most overlooked.

When I am evaluating loads (I use the 600yd range for the first evaluation) it must be in at least a 5mph wind preferably 10 to 15 (blows the sky screens around a little) so as to completely understand how the bullet will perform in actual conditions. It does not matter weather you are shooting at the target of record or a trophy deer you still have to get the bullet to the intended target. I have been shooting 1k yards at the ranch off and on for over 30 years but as a result of competition and the instruction of many people have improved my shooting skills many fold.

If you cannot properly evaluate the product you are buying then does it even make sense to spend the $500.00 or so dollars to install a premium barrel? Your money your choice.

NRA Life Member