Originally Posted by denton
It's interesting to read through the comments by people who live in parts of the country where deer are hunted with shotguns. Here in the West, it's a lot different, and we don't get exposed to those viewpoints.

I agree with Denton. I also find it interesting hearing how people in different parts of the country hunt, and with what weapons, terrain, distances etc. It is a very interesting thread in that sense. Being from the Northeast, and only having ever hunted in the Northeast, mostly in extremely thick cover has made a sluggun my preferred weapon in most cases, even where I can hunt with a rifle.

While I do hunt with rifles in New Yorkistan, and reload rifle and try to reload precisionwise, it's kinda a moot point seeing how most deer I've taken with a rifle I could have easily shot and killed with my bow & arrow.

I used to hunt a balsam swamp up off Yeagerville Road just below Peekamoose mountain in New Yorkistan, it was so thick with balsam and laurel you would have been lucky to get a shot at 40 yards. Fast pointing sluggun with slow moving slugs just seems a better option in places like that.

While there is some farmland in the areas I hunted in New Yorkistan, when I hear of wide open shots across fields, first thing I think of is that those kind of deer were removed from the gene pool back in the 60's-70's in the areas I hunt.

But it's all good and all interesting, and I do like all the different weapons, and sometimes just believe in using the right tool to get the job done.

But there is something about having a wary buck inside of 20 yards of you and have to draw the bow back and get the shot off with him unaware that really floats my boat.

Last edited by wink_man; 01/28/14.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people