I don't shoot longrange, mostly because I have had the chance to kill animals closer by. I would love to get experienced at long range shooting and hunting, but my time and budget are limited, so I can't do much of it.
What it is ethical or not depends on how trained you are and how capable your combination or equipment and shooter are.
Some people I would not trust with a shot at 30yd despite good equipment. I have also seen shots on moving hogs, with kentucky holding and windage on 4x in the middle of the night, and connect solidly, of course the guy was a sniper instructor among other things.
I have no problem with people shooting long range provided they have the training and skill to make shots count, whether it is 200yds or 1k.
As a side comment on animal movement, observing animals can show if they are on the move, about to move or not. Standing there grazing or bedded is not the same as lazily making their way.
I Peru I get the chance to shoot at 100s of doves flying at cruise speed of 50+mph or with the afterburners on, enough experience and you kill em very dead with the adequate lead. Same applies to rifle, bow or spear throwing, know your capabilities and your equipment.