It is truly a judgment call based upon experience.
Two deer last week from sitting positions with distances under 400 yards. Same set-up with BOG-GEAR's HD-3 Tri-Pod and their PSR top (Center-grip XP-100). On the shot that was over 350 yards I was able to get bone support with my elbow and knee, while on the shorter shot 164 yards, I couldn't get bone support. I took me longer to get steady on the shorter shot, but I finally did. The longest shot deer ran 30 yards (quartering shot/1 shoulder double lung)before giving it up and the short range one (broadside/double shoulder) jumped straight up and then went straight down.
I was told by the hunt club to go for shoulder shots because of the heavy cover were around, to avoid bringing out the tracking dogs.
Had I not been able to get a solid rest with the longer one, I would have had to pass. Prone they would have been both gimmee's. Neither deer were alerted to my presence.
Originally Posted by Ready
Originally Posted by xphunter
Well said!
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Yeah, here is the thing, I wouldn't take that shot. All that shooting shows you what you shouldn't do just as much as it shows you what you can do.

I think, that actually make the points both of B&C and Mr. Stecker.

Well said.

Its all about performance envelope. Taking a plane outside its, gets you killed. Taking your rifle/bow and yourself outside theirs, gets misses or, worse, wounds an animal.

Trick is to know before the shot if one is able to do it - on that day, under prevailing conditions, with the equipment at hand.

Really - not a long range proposition. Much more a core hunting situation judgement.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/