Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

On average, long-range shooters put more time, primers, and preparation into LR shots, and miss or wound less than average-Joe short-range shooters who shoot a couple boxes of ammo a year and take whatever shot they are offered, including running shots. These same average-Joe shooters tend not to wound at long range, they miss entirely. To use a line from your book- prove me wrong. But try using reason and evidence this time.

Jordan, you are an experienced guy, that is inarguable to me. I will have to respectfully disagree with you on this. It seems that with most LR guys I read here on the fire, they fail to admit that they are totally at the mercy of the wind no matter how much ammo they burn. My buddies up in the TX Panhandle personally see the best snipers in the world shoot steel, targets, and prarie dogs, at extended ranges past 1000m. The ever present, inconsistent wind wreaks havoc with the very best shooters in the world, as they often time, very often, miss the mark the first shot or two, due to not being able to figure the dope, obviously. If it happens to these guys, it happens to any LR shooter anywhere. That's my reason for not totally drinking the koolaid. Now, when there's little to no wind, or a consistent wind (seldom), different story. You don't want these guys shooting at you no matter what.

There is no way to prove if LR shooters wound more or less than regular shooters, no way. Also, exactly none of these snipers are using conventional (Swaro, Leica, Zeiss, Leupy, Nikon, Bushy, etc) rangefinders. They also shoot as a team. There's not one guy "swagging it" like lots of LR hunting wannabes do. The wind dictates the result, every single time.

They are practicing and learning wind calls. I will only shoot at an animal at long using wind calls that I am sure of. Example if in Idaho shooting in up drafts and down draft that I am unfamiliar with I do not take that shot. Nothing forces me to shoot when uncertain.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first