Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by xphunter
Is this a fear or known fact for you?
It certainly is possible though.
I have taken big game out past 1K with a XP-100, yet my last two animals were at 164 and 363 respectively. I take animals at short, medium, and long ranges.

+1

I take the best possible shot I'm presented with, but I like to have as many tools in my tool box as possible- with the option to take short, medium, or long-range shots.

Exactly. The Long Rangeophobs are quite a few tools short of a tool box laugh

Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
A .308 Win is a MAJOR handicap at long range in any type of wind

RC, what caliber and cartridge do you prefer for these longrange jaunts?

Long range is about BC. Pick a caliber with high BC bullet availability and the cartrige capable of sending it as fast as possible.

There are many good choices.

I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor and a .300 Winchester Magnum in competition. I also have rifles chambered for the same to hunt with.

While speaking of that, there's a lot to be said for having hunting rifles and competiton rifles in the same cartridge. Same goes with setting them up with the same scope or at least the same reticle. I shoot a heck of a lot more with competiton guns than my hunting guns. You become very "in tune" with drop and drift. Makes transitioning to your hunting rifle seem like you haven't changed much and, I believe, will lead to better shooting at long range in the field.

Very much like taking your well-fitted sporting clays gun on a dove hunt.

Carnage!

Exactly.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first