Ya'll make good points, but I was never suggesting the .223, I was suggesting the 7.62x39... Now, maybe I've got my military history wrong or something, but I've never heard of it lacking in fight stopping power. I've treated 7.62x39mm wounds and I'm rather impressed...Most weren't in need of my services, but rather the services of the coroner.

The 7.62x39 is the only real assault rifle cartridge and it does exactly what it was intended to do. It stops a fight just as well as a 7.62 NATO and it recoils much less.

Every Valmet M62/76 I've handled would shoot circles around a FAL or M14 and do it in a lighter package with lighter ammunition.

The 7.62 NATO gives you about 200 yards more effective range, which is almost never needed. However, the 7.62x39mm is much lighter allowing you to carry more ammo...And that's needed very often. Personally, I'll take the extra ammunition.

The 7.62x39mm is a proven combat cartridge and has not been found wanting in any war.

The Valmet fires a cartridge that's a better combat cartridge. It's more accurate and more reliable than anything else...I'd be quite confident in my choice.