GG,
I have a scar on my right shoulder were I had a through and through from a 7.62X39 from October 1983.
Prefectly straight through,entered two inches from midline of my chest,exited through the ole "push-up muscle"(latisamis dorsi?).
In 1989 I took a single round in the left thigh (back to front) that missed femur and major blood lines but caused me to still limp from the "stretch cavity" that wreaked havoc on my quad! The rifle was a FAL that was recovered after the position took a 152mm round from a Sheridan! Go 3/73 82nd Airborne!
Thank the almighty for no 5.56mm to make it's way into me but the 7.62NATO was the fight stopper to me!

I concer that a M62 with its butt-ugly metal tube buttstock would be a damn sight better than any AK with it's improved sights and better gas system.
But the Finn's were using the premiss that they would have another "winter-war" and what better way to resupply ammo than take it from the dead commies body's!!
The M62 would be my first choice when loaded with Chinese type"PS" 7.62X39 ammo(mild steel jacket with iron-core)best AP available for the 7.62X39 anywhere!!
The 123grain .310 bullets are very stable and yield termendous penetration in soft tissue.
They seldom yaw(thank the almighty)or "break" at the canuler as is common with M193 and M855 ammo.
The German and Norwegion 7.62NATO has similar type results when they encounter large soft masses(thighs,pelvic girdle and lower bowels)they yaw and break at the crimp groove on the bullets.The end result is a wound that is horrific but stops the target quite well!
Mike