I�m not sure what your experience is with the M14, but the problems you mention are not significant problems. The M14 is every bit as reliable, if not more so, than the M1 Garand. The feeding system is nearly identical�the only difference is the box magazine vs the en-bloc clip. The M14 magazine is a great design and has always proved quite reliable. As for the operating rod, the length was an issue with the Garand and bent op rods happened from time to time but not all that often. For the M14, it was a rare case.

The only problems I can recall were some firing pin breakage from dry firing and on the ammo side, it�s only finicky about the use of soft point ammunition. I have never ran into NATO spec ammo the M14 wouldn�t gobble up.

The M14 has never had severe problems. It�s in front line service all over the place and few have complained about it. I don�t know where you got your info on the magazines and spare parts, but that�s not correct. Magazines are plentiful as are spare parts (but you are right that there are no �official� parts being made � could be a problem later, but not a problem now). This info comes from a guy at my church who is a former Army armorer. He said that some parts are scarce, mainly major components like barrels and stocks, but the ones that are commonly broken can be replaced.