First let me say - I have no combat time, my choices are at best arm chair suppositions based on reading.

So what I will list is FWIW:

Were I to fight an enemy and I had good logistics - that is re-supply available to me in the field, quality ammo and a qualified armorer to back me up. I think I would select the M14. I think it can fit the bill rather nicely. An M4 or M16 based weapon would also do ( I still prefer the m14) - provided I could select ammo. (IIRC I read a contractor's story in Iraq - seems contractors were allowed to select the ammo they wanted and not mil. issue - he chose the 223 with something I can not remember but got very authoritative kills with a simple double tap to CM. - he made the point that a 223 can be an efective killer with correct ammo. Was in "Soldier of Fortune" IIRC)

Were I to fight an enemy and didn't have logistics - say I had to live off whatever the guy I killed was carrying - I would select a high quality AK. Chances are the enemy I encounter is going to be carrying an AK variation so ammo would be available. Were he not for some really weird reason - I wouldtake his weapon and use it to fight on.

So for me in scenario 1 the best weapon is the M14, secenario 2 - an AK of some type.

Of course side arm considerations would go also #1 1911 in 45ACP, #2 Browning hi-power in 9mm.

Me