Gene, I agree with much of what you said. Our basic load for the M16 was also the same, 22 magazines, but we usually stripped out 1 or 2 rounds from each magazine to avoid feeding problems. I also know what it's like to run out of ammo and words cannot describe the feeling of total helplessness. Usually, when our unit came under fire, only about half of us could move into position to return fire, so there was ammo available from others who were not so engaged. There were occasions when the entire unit was down to virtually nothing and the adrenalin rush of being in a firefight was replaced with sheer terror.

I remember as if it happened yesterday, a Huey pilot with balls as big as basketballs, hovering over us while the doorgunner kicked off cases of ammo to resupply us when we were under heavy fire. We watched him taking hits that were sure to bring him down right on top of us, but he was able to get out of there.

It's funny, I can no longer remember the specific details regarding the birth of my kids, but some of my experiences from Vietnam pop back into my consciousness after putting them out of my mind long ago. Recalling the incident that I just related caused more than a lump in my throat too.

MacDonald