Lee,

The G3 had some virtues (few, but some)�But the delayed roller locking system could only be a good idea to a German engineer. In my experience, they were one of the least reliable and most ammunition sensitive military rifles I�ve ever encountered.

The sights can�t be adjusted unless you have one of their handy little tools (handy because they�re quickly lost in the field). When my firefight suddenly becomes a long range affair, what I really want to do is fumble around my rucksack for a �sight adjustment tool.�

Making the receiver out of a steel stamping was a good idea�Unfortunately, it was an idea that was implemented by a German engineer, and it�s the most complex and complicated steel stamping ever contrived. It neither saved money on the manufacturing, nor weight, so I�m left wondering what the virtue is.

Having pins that actually come out of a military weapon during cleaning is a bad idea.

The trigger group is needlessly complex in design and manufacture.

So, there�s what I don�t like. What I do like is the modularity of the weapon system and the fact that many parts are interchangeable between rifles. I love the design of the front sight (but hate the rear sight). Ergonomically, I think they did well.

I think the most telling thing you can say about the G3 system is that H&K finally acknowledged that a gas operated rifle is a better idea, and their later designs reflect this.