Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
Originally Posted by Paddler
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
What about slob fishermen that actually use a boat to go fishing from instead of being a sporting he-man and swimming up the river to where the fishing spot is. Some of them actually stoop so low as to use a rod and reel instead of a handline... give the poor fish a chance folks. Catching fish while swim-trolling with a handline now that's for a real sportsman.

Oh, we use handlines, too, but just for tuna. And a boat, too, because we're so far offshore:

http://vid1020.photobucket.com/albu...lt%20Water/La%20Push%202010/IMG_6073.mp4

http://vid1020.photobucket.com/albu...lt%20Water/La%20Push%202010/IMG_6074.mp4

A real sportsman would braid their own handlines using their own hair or to be even more sporting, fish like an otter... fishing lines, we don't need no stinking fishing lines. :-)

Since you don't like people hunting with an ATV, I imagine that you get out of the motor boat and into a kayak or raft before you start fishing, right?

God I love this "campfire". We can easily, in the course of only 4 pages or so, get from "grouse in a dumptruck, to "swimtrolling" for fish! cool

As long as we are at it and apparently some of us are having fun:

EVERYONE knows that fishing like an otter is too "animalistic" and therefor not sporting in the least. To be sporting, otters would have to dull their teeth with a file. And tie their tails up between their legs so they have no rudder, the poor fish are at such a disadvantage already.

I have a BS (watch it guys, that means Bachelor of Science, not what you'd like it to mean grin) degree in Fisheries, I work in the fisheries field, have fished with numerous methods for close to 50 years now, have caught fish on both sides of the country, In fresh, salt, and brackish water, have trophies from a bass fishing club I used to fish with, and I've been likened to a dysfunctional squirrel.

That makes me the "x-purt" right, so what I say goes!

We all should be fishing with hand braided lines from the rainbow tails of virgin unicorns!

With a rod made from a willow branch harvested (in a sporting manner of course) along the banks of a magical stream in the "enchanted forest". Harvested by Snow White, naturally.

Our hook should only be made forged by elves, the same ones who fashioned the swords for Gimli or one of those other Hobbitses. It should only be made of the finest exotic metal taken from the belly of a downed ALIEN ship found in the bowels of Mt Shasta or similar landing zone. The Orks could provide it to the elves. My world and I say they're at peace now, the unicorns demanded it.

We will have our brightly colored lures constructed by the McSwirly company using only 'Murican made "Loopy" rings to attach the above elfin hooks. (never never would we consider lures made by B&C, or Hogue, or eeeek.. RamLine!)

The most sporting aspect of this method of fishing is that the fish will never be caught or even hooked. The McSwirly lure and rainbow line will be invisble to the fish due to the refraction of the light in water. Should, by some amazing circumstance, the fish notice the lure in a shadow or something, it will use it's lateral line and bio-electrical current detector and it will be repelled by the ALIEN metal of the hook. It will notify other fish in the area of the danger by means of its "Schreckstoffzellen" (real word, real functioning part of certain fish, Look it up if you don't believe me. x-purt, remember wink ).

Therefor we will all be sportsmen (and sportswomen, and sports gender neutral, etc etc) if only you all will follow MY instruction.

I will never again fish with a baitcaster, a spinning rig, or even my fly rod.

Unless of course some nice person here on the 'fire donates (permanently) me a really nice handmade bamboo one. A 5 wt or so might be nice.

FB2 and Paddler, please take my humor as it is meant, in fun. I, too, enjoy a walk in the woods with a shotgun to try to kick up a bird or two. I however, am an opportunistic one and if presented would attempt to harvest a grouse for camp food with my pistol or my bow while hunting larger tasty critters.

Shrapnel, assuming you've managed to read thru my drivel, my apologies for getting off topic. Please keep taking the kids to the "woods", however they get there is better than them not going.

Respectfully to all,

Geno

PS, what was it Rodney King said? Something about getting along?

PPS. I sure wish I could be out walking around in the woods, or at least in my garden. It is a bright clear warm fall day here on the dry side of WA. But, I require money to feed my outdoor pursuits and such, and therefor must slave away the day.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?