Originally Posted by battue
Around here Ruffed Grouse are far from the dumbest of game birds. Birds are down here from historic numbers and you are hunting survivors. They don't usually hang around all that much, although some do.

One thing I can tell Paddler is I have had the opportunity to hunt with some excellent Eastern Grouse hunters and a couple of them have what many would call a great Dog. And more than the proverbial one. They pretty much live the game. When it comes to a Bird giving them a fair opportunity, it odds are only slightly better than your in the tree pic. A couple of them are deadly, especially when they get into enough Birds and find their groove. Makes little difference to the Grouse.

If these guys would have have to hunt Grouse that were wilder they still would. Why? Simple really, they are hunters. Perhaps some would enjoy it more with the increased challenge. They obviously have more than a few Birds and there are covers they again obviously never
touch and they only take a very small percentage of available Birds.

They do it differently, but they do it legally. Anything else is personal preference.

If it makes you feel a little better. However, I kinda took an unfair advantage that day. They were not all that interested in flying, but when forced to had no choice. Nor is a Model 59 a double. In fact it is more efficient than most of them. grin

[Linked Image]

Battue, the dog looks quite happy.

Or did you harvest a small black bear that day also? grin

Thanks for the pic and story,

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?