Which gets to the question, what is the bullet designed to do? Kill the animal, or look pretty?

Exactly!

Having used the .270 Win for the majority of my hunting days,I can say with certainty in my personal experiences that premium bullets can and do fail in smaller calibers due to there controlled expansion or not expanding at all such as some have seen with the Barnes and I have with the Fail Safe in the .270.

An old cheapy like a Core-Lokt would have worked much better than the so called super premium..One reason after using different premium bullets I chose the Nosler as a premium is the so called two bullet effect where it sometimes looses the front section in the animal, giving a better and more harmonious outcome!Probably the best elk kill'n bullet I have seen in my way to many years waking up, is the old Sierra bullet.Far from a premium in todays terms but what a job it did out of the .270 Win if you put it where it belonged.

Not knocking premium bullets, just saying that alot of the time the old cup and core bullets do a better job at kill'n.

Take the Berger..Please laugh .....Premium or not?