I don't doubt this, and I don't doubt that toad and others have seen examples of bullets not doing what they're supposed to do. Human nature being what it is, when you see it with your own eyes, it leaves an impression. I had a friend show me a recovered TTSX from a big bull shot at 60 yards. It killed the bull because he drilled it through the heart, but the bullet looked like it was new, minus the tip.

That was enough to give me pause, but it doesn't mean the TTSX isn't a good bullet for elk.

I don't disagree with any of that and am not saying premium bullets are bad or any better or worse than some of the old standards not pushed above there intended velocity,basically factory velocities.

Core-Lokts can come apart and sometimes it a good thing if the bullet went where you wanted it to go.Noslers can also come apart or loose there front core,again a good thing if you put it where you wanted,Solid copper bullets can fail to expand and again,take the Berger bullet, OMG, but some very experienced elk hunters swear by them as some of the old timers swore by the Sierra bullet in the same manner...

All bullets,premium or standard can fail,whatever the definition of a bullet failing on game is.I have a cute little picture of a .375 260 grain Nosler Accubond and a .375 270 grain Core-Lokt both shot at factory type velocities and both dug out of the same target..The Core-Lokt,believe it or not was picture pufect,one you would want to show anyone while the Nosler,not so much!

And the search for the perfect bullet continues for some.