Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Hi Vel, thanks.. Got the .270 out of an estate.. Has a fairly heavy #5 barrel on it and has made me a real fan of this cartridge.. Have a good one...

an estate sale--was the rig a special build by someone back in the day? initially, i was just guessing it was likely an older pre 64 model 70 rig when i read your post.

when i first started hunting yipper dogs, i used the .270 with Speer 100 gr spitzers--that pill was not a good choice. i switched to the 130 Sierra bt, which was pretty fair, and made a couple long shots with it. something i discovered by chance was that a good pill for performance on the hides was the 130 Nosler partition--a nickle to quarter size hole, and it was accuate enough to at least 300, though i never shot one farther away than that with the partition pill. the rig was a Remington model 700 with a straight 6X scope.

did you ever read the article by William "Pom" Ainsley? it was in the January 1968 of Outdoor Life magazine. he used to hunt coyotes on skiis back in those days...good hunting.

great to know you're out there having fun with those critters--the best hunting there is. but then again, big whitetails, hares, cottontails, and chucks are right on their heels...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...