Wyo,

great to know you have a "varmint file". i started one many decades ago--great medicine for the soul. in fact, Bob S. came by yesterday and the day before, as we were talking about these older reads, and i gave him copies of 4 older articles--which for him is a slice of heaven. i occasionally visit with Tim H. who is a constructor by trade, though he spends his winters in his little trailor, swatting yotes all winter out in eastern Montana and west No. Dak. he often sends interesting pics. he has been written up in some of the magazines. Bob considers him to be one of the best there is.

Pom was, according to the article a "Swifter", making his own stocks with a very high comb, and using 6X glass. but he zeroed at 375 yards--a strange system, and it worked for him. i found early on that i could not use a zero such as that--and Bill B. taught me to zero 1/2 high at 50 back in the early '70's, something i did for some years. for the most part, i've used .22 CF (Swift and 22-250), and 6mm rounds (usually .243 Win). the .22-250 is my favorite.

the 130 gr Sierra is a good pill. while out hunting yotes with a relative back in the mid 1970's, i nailed a badger out in the snow with that pill--which back in those days--was something considered to be "long range". had to walk the shots in, with the Cisco Kid spotting. made a fortunate shot--something a song dog won't hang around for. when Scenarshooter skinned it, he found the pill in the neck. Pat calculated the shot at about 900 yards, give or take a few.

yes, i still enjoy all of the varmint hunting, but coyotes are becoming much harder to score on around here. as Bob maintains, there are very few left. same with fox--they were everywhere back in the 70's, but seldom seen here these days. to consistently find yotes, one has to travel from here heading north--and east, to areas such as Lewistown, etc.

great find on that rig, and i'm guessing it will likely swat a few more crafty canines in months to come.

btw, it sounds like the specific pill you are presently using in that .270 has a habit of finding its intended target...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...