Yeah, helping a son navigate thru all the obstacles and getting an education that will get him employed and making a good income with good long prospects, and not burdened with student loans and debts, can be a handful....

I think in today's world, best advise is for a young person to go to a community college... what they usually teach is a lot more applicable to employment, along with less of a tuition rape....

even tho I have plenty of post high school education, I still go take classes at the local community college.. to refresh knowledge or learn new stuff more in depth.. I just audit the courses, so I don't have to worry about a grade...
just have fun basically...and take classes a lot more seriously than I did as an undergrad.. lets face it, how many other guys did and will admit, to spending more time and effort into getting loaded and laid, than they spent efforts with the books?

Last semester met a young man I got real impressed with...

was in the automotive class I was taking...comes from a mudhole town mainly full of hippies and has more dogs than people for a population...he desires to become a doctor...

his parents have no money... so his plan was to earn an associates degree in automotive technology... so he can work as a mechanic...he graduated, and now is employable so he can support himself and pay for school... he's over there taken classes in A&P right now, and getting himself set up for what its going to take to get himself to PA school...if that goes well, he'll pass that hurdle and then decide if Med School is in his future or not...

I'm impressed because Devon is relying on himself to do his education, and do so while not racking up a hug debt to have to pay off one day...he has a plan and has a route to get there.. plus is doing it in step, to give the flexibility to change as he needs to....

Good to see a young man with his head on straight, than many clueless suburbanite kids, who go get themselves into a huge 6 figure student loan debt, in a discipline that they will never find a job in....