Dad was a Methodist minister...with me the oldest of 5 kids. I knew if I was going to get through college all I could count on from my folks was moral support.
From about 12 or 13, I knew that I wanted to work in the outdoors...thinking field work in wildlife mgmt, forestry, conservation, etc...I worked summers for Missouri Dept of Conservation and loved it, which confirmed to me that path was my true "calling".
Local "Junior College" as they were called, was the only affordable option. Fortunately the school changed to 4 year program end of my 2nd year, so continued there.
Closest option to the study I wanted was a Biology degree. My 3rd year(took me 5 years) I discovered as others have noted, that to get in the door you had to have a Masters or better to get work....so added courses in Chemistry and Secondary Education to expand my options. Graduated with degree in Biology, minor in Chemistry. Found work in Quality Assurance for Quaker Oats...didn't like that so went back to finish teaching degree. Taught biology/chemistry/gen science for 11 years at small high school in north central Missouri. Completed my Masters in Science Ed during that time.
Wife and I got wild hair for something different...so ended up in AZ.
Found a job as Chemist in the Environmental Lab for the state of AZ. Really enjoyed doing the environmental work, but still wanted field work.
After about 11 years in the lab, I transferred to AZ Dept Environmental Quality.
For almost 7 years, I was out and about the state as a "hydrologist", doing groundwater and surface water sampling for the water survey of aquifers and drainage basins throughout the state. Loved it...felt good about the work I was doing....good science, driving and hiking the back country, seeing parts of the state very few others had or would ever see...and not using up my truck, gas, and tires to do it. laugh
Some health issues were pushing me back to a desk, so ended up back at the Environmental Lab for another 11 years, until I retired 1August15.
Ironically, I found throughout my working life that my chemistry minor got me in the door for most of my jobs...more than the Biology degree.
In general, I would have to say I have worked in my degree area or near it in one way or another...and far and away its given me a good ride.
I always encouraged my students and my own kids...to choose a path/education that provides the greatest range of opportunity to earn a living....in an area of work/study that they truly enjoy. cool It may be college, it may be trade school, it may be an apprenticeship(if they still do that?)....whatever is right for you.