Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Bachelor of Science in Forest Management, Utah State U. Never worked a day in that field.

They were cranking out foresters like there was no tomorrow, so when I graduated there were no jobs and what few there were paid bupkus. I could have had a job making minimum wage driving around Nevada counting jojobe plants for some synthetic fuels research. People with a Masters degree were planting trees, that's a summer job for high school kids.

Took the last of my GI bill (the old one) and went to 6 months of vocational school to be a computer programmer. Have worked in that field for 34 years now and it has been an enjoyable time and allowed me to make a decent living.

A classmate of mine also graduated with a BS in Forestry but couldn't find work either. He went back to school to become an electrical contractor and last I heard was very successful at it.

Similar story for me with a wildlife mgt BS. Minimum wage jobs, preferential hiring of women and minorities to meet quotas, masters degrees barely making 20k. I was the first one in my family to go to college so precious little career advice. Complete waste of 4 years.

Later got an AS in Respiratory therapy and was working at two hospitals before I even graduated and am still in the field 15 years later. Trade schools rule. If you want to go the traditional route, either plan on at least a masters or better yet a doctorate. A bachelors degree by itself isn't worth using for butt wipe when you consider the huge cost plus 4 to 5 years of lost income while you are in school.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5